Thursday, February 10, 2011

My Mammaw

I grew up in Southern Ohio, but my grandparents came from the coal mining area of Kentucky. My Pappaw worked at the White Gravel Mines in Minford but he passed away when I was six so I don't remember him much. My Mother's mother was known by all of us grandchildren as Mammaw. She was under 5' tall, was 90 lbs soakin' wet and always smelled like butterscotch lifesavers. That was one lady you didn't sass or disrespect. She would not allow it. She would calmly tell you what you should have done then hug you and go ahead and fix everything for you. Although I did hear hear raise her voice more than once to say, "Don't slam the screen door." But even that wasn't all that loud. Going to her house was always such a treat even though she didn't live that far away from us, just minutes really. She had the softest greenest front lawn of anyone I knew and she didn't mind if we played on it. My sisters and I would even climb the trees in the front yard. We weren't really supposed to but all she would say is, "Ok girls go ahead and climb down now." Those two trees in her yard were planted when my sister and I were born. I can't remember now which one was "mine" but Jody always claimed the bigger one. Even though mine was planted first. :) Mammaw had buckets of "hens and chickens" sitting all around the yard too. Remember them? I think they are a kind of cactus. There would be holes cut out so they could grow all around the buckets. I found this picture on another blog.
Of all the memories I have of Mammaw I would have to say that her fried chicken holiday meals and of course the infamous chocolate gravy and biscuits would have to be my favorite. Go figure food related memories stick out the most. Do you remember chocolate gravy and biscuits? It was what the kids would say now is "the bomb." 
Mammaw has been on my mind lately although she has been gone for quite a few years I still use all the wonderful knowledge she instilled in me, well everything except putting water in your rice crispies. I just could never bring myself to try it. Well, to each his own I guess.

Thank you Vannie Rose Curtis for helping shape who I am today. I will always love you.  Thats all for today folks. I didn't mean to make sad memories, but in case I did take a moment and when you realize that those memories make you who you are you will find your smile. Till tomorrow be safe. Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment